My Community

Tutorial 4 Scenes and Sprite images

ChrisRansom

• Christopher Michael Ransom The 1 and only.
    • View Profile
    • Draft Utopia
    • Email
Tutorial 4 Scenes and Sprite images
« on: September 19, 2014, 03:30:56 PM »
Scenes are the canvas background when designing the game.  The scene is usually grey until you redesign the canvas.  That can be hard.  It is kind of like adding a background color to the actual game.

Sprite images are images for a game.  Often characters in the game are the sprite images when designing a game.  I'll use a few examples by finding the best video game characters and uploading them to this message board.  By the way these are from actual video games so you will have to create your own sprites if you want to design your own games.  I found a sprite of everybody from a Super Mario Bros flash game.
My name is Chris Ransom and I am the creator of Draft Utopia.  I run the podcast, website, and forum for Draft Utopia.

ChrisRansom

• View Profile
    • Draft Utopia
    • Email
Re: Tutorial 4 Scenes and Sprite images
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 03:33:42 PM »
See the Super Mario Bros image.  Go ahead and open it up.  You will see images of every character in mario moving up, down, left, or right.  If you really wanted to make a game, you could challenge yourself by cropping each image so there is only one image for each character and then save that image into a file.  You should only do this if you have a MacBookPro like me cause I have not tried this out on Windows.
My name is Chris Ransom and I am the creator of Draft Utopia.  I run the podcast, website, and forum for Draft Utopia.

ChrisRansom

• View Profile
    • Draft Utopia
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 03:35:34 PM »
A Sonic The Hedgehog sprite

ChrisRansom

• View Profile
    • Draft Utopia
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 04:04:55 PM »
One more sprite.  Does anyone know who Tomba is?  Tomba was an old game on the original playstation that I played when I was a kid.  Severly underrated game.  Better than Spyro, but not as good as Crash Bandicoot.

ChrisRansom

• View Profile
    • Draft Utopia
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 04:06:36 PM »
In the next lesson I will examine the speed and angles of a sprite.  Go ahead and google some sprites online and brainstorm some ideas for sprites.