My Community

Players That Could Make NHL Rosters As Rookies From The 2014 NHL Draft

ChrisRansom

• Christopher Michael Ransom The 1 and only.
    • View Profile
    • Draft Utopia
    • Email
Aaron Ekblad, D, Barrie Colts (OHL) drafted by Florida Panthers 1st overall.  Ekblad projected as #6 defenseman on the roster.  He could be the #2 defenseman on the roster behind Brian Campbell by the end of his rookie season.
Sam Reinhart, C, Kootenay Ice (WHL) drafted by the Buffalo Sabres 2nd overall.  Sam Reinhart is going to start out as the fourth-line center on the roster.  He is expected to pass 2012 first-round pick Mikhail Grigorenko by midseason.  Could be line 2 center behind Cody Hodgson in 2014 if Sabres fail to land Conner McDavid in the 2015 NHL Draft.
Michael Dal Colle, LW, Oshawa Generals (OHL) drafted by the New York Islanders 5th overall. New York should be patient with Dal Colle.  I question the idea of bringing him up to the NHL.  Still, he will start out on line 4 for the Islanders.
Jake Virtanen, RW, Calgary Hitmen (WHL) drafted by the Vancouver Canucks 6th overall. Virtanen is expected to start out on line 4.  He could work his way up to line 1 by next season.
William Nylander, LW, Sodertalje SK (Allsvenskan) drafted by the Toronto Maple Leafs 8th overall. Nylander can play anywhere at forward at left wing, center, or right wing.  The exceptional prospect is expected to be a line 4 left winger on the roster right away as a rookie.
Nick Ritchie, RW, Peterborough Petes, (OHL) drafted by the Anaheim Ducks 10th overall. Ritchie is expected to play on the Ducks third line in 2014 as a rookie.  Ritchie has the versatility to play left wing.  Was drafted second overall by the Petes in the 2011 OHL Priority selection one pick after Aaron Ekblad who was the top overall pick in the 2014 NHL Draft.  Ritchie could be called up as the line 2 left winger when the aging Dany Heatley leaves Anaheim.

Thoughts on these rookies.
My name is Chris Ransom and I am the creator of Draft Utopia.  I run the podcast, website, and forum for Draft Utopia.

Re: Players That Could Make NHL Rosters As Rookies From The 2014 NHL Draft
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 10:12:27 PM »
William Nylander is really good.  Toronto scouted him in Sweden.  Look for him to climb up the lines over time just like Morgan Reilly did.